January can be a bit of a depressing month – it’s cold, we’ve spent all of our money over Christmas and the word ‘diet’ is being thrown around a lot. If you’re in need of a pick-me-up, I’ve put together five beauty treatments to try this month – whether at home or at the salon.
1. Exfoliation – an area of my summer regime that goes down the toilet (and really shouldn’t!) in winter is body exfoliation. It’s a must to keep skin feeling soft and smooth and as our skin often dries out a lot more in winter, removing the dead skin cells is really important to avoid looking like a snake that needs to shed its skin come summertime. Grab your favourite body scrub and have a thorough session once a week in the shower, followed up by a nice rich body cream to hydrate afterwards. *makes note to self to do this over the weekend*
2. Book a neck and shoulder massage – winter often means spending a lot more time indoors as the cold weather and rain can mean going out seems a lot less appealing. Netflix marathons on the sofa can do dreadful things to your posture, so why not book a back massage as a treat to unfold those sofa-induced knots.
3. De-fuzzing - let’s face it, when it’s winter, hair removal isn’t always the first thing at the front of our minds, but when it comes to laser hair removal, you’ve got to start early if you want to be fuzz-free for summer. Laser hair removal is always something I’ve wanted to get done, but sadly my pale skin and ginger persuasion means it’s not something that will work as my hair is too light for it to work effectively. If you’ve been blessed with darker hair and want something more long-term than shaving or waxing, why not speak to a laser hair removal specialist like Sk:n Clinics who will be able to help.
4. Try an at-home mini facial – post-Christmas most of us aren’t exactly feeling flush, so while I’d normally recommend booking in for a professional facial, this month it’s time to try one at home! Double cleanse, exfoliate, relax with a mask (or two) and then give yourself a good pamper with a nice oil and your skin will be left looking revived. I’ll be popping up a separate post on some at-home facial ideas very soon, so keep an eye out for these!
5. Pamper cold-ravaged hands – in winter my hands take a turn for the worse and start to resemble lizard skin, no matter how much hand cream I use (sexy, huh?). Lots of salons offer hand pampering manicures, but for a simple at-home solution, grab some extra rich hand cream (you could also try using something like coconut oil), apply a generous amount and pop on a pair of cotton gloves over the top. I like to do this for a couple of hours while I watch a film, but you could also leave them on overnight – you’ll be left with baby soft hands with minimal effort.
What are your favourite pamper treatments to try in winter?